October 20, 2010

The Sacredness of Tasting

A close friend was telling me today that i always brag  how much i like food, how much it is something personal for me and how much i choose it delicately . Nevertheless,  she adds that she actually never saw me so passionate about it . Despite that i talk about food constantly ( since i am a food scientist), she says she didnt saw me experience this  zeal "on the ground" .But  this talk was after the small incident that happened today.
So, what happened today??

Well, it was a small incident. Today,  I had a very arduous never lasting 60 minute aerobic class, where i literally couldn't breath . In the class, i was thinking about  juices, water , chocolate, french fries, Basmati rice , lasagna..etc This is what we call an urging appetite . Yes Yes  I was having a "FOOD Fantasy".

I wanted this class to finish so bad, so that i rush up to Bliss Street and choose whatever i like from my favorite foods .(Ironically, the streets name is after Reverend Daniel Bliss-an American missionary who founded the American University of Beirut,  and not because it is blissful due to all the restaurants there :P:P)

Despite all this food enthusiasm, i chose one simple food : "Hazelnut chocolate filled doughnut and a bottle of water". My friend ( which ofcorse was having a doughnut too) was watching me how  i  was eating the doughnut with passion : So, i just sat and looked at the doughnut for 30 sec, then i smelled it. After that , i had a first bite and listened to the sound that my teeth made  as it chewed the poor dough. Then I had another bite much slowlier than before . I wanted to incite all my senses, to feel this food, and so to enjoy it with nothing interrupting me.  My friend confessed that i was treating it as a sacred object.
It was  my heaven that moment.

I cant deny that tasting food is my passion. And i want to pursue more things in it .
Perhaps it will become  my religion, my ceremonial, my ritual, or even my sanctuary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment