April 10, 2012

Where the streets have no name..


I have just been merely talking and discussing food and health issues. I miss sharing a song or a random thought on my blog. So, here is a non-food related post about a song :)

I hate discussing music but this song "Where the streets have no name" is special and holds deep meanings.



I always loved what Bono says about Samuel Beckett and the tribute he played for him when he died. At the beginning, Bono says :
"His voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard; nor word from word could I divide
The whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I have met in a dream
Sam Beckett dreamt of other roads
Sam beckett dreamt of other lands
Of another home, of another home
Where the streets have no name
Take me
Take me"

 Bono was actually adapting lines from the wordsworth poem, "Resolution and Independence". Here's a few lines:

          The old Man still stood talking by my side;
          But now his voice to me was like a stream
          Scarce heard; nor word from word could I divide;
          And the whole body of the Man did seem
          Like one whom I had met with in a dream;
          Or like a man from some far region sent,
          To give me human strength, by apt admonishment.



I always play this song in my head when I am walking for hours around Beirut streets, streets with no name or atleast I haven't memorized their names. As I walk to find myself something to make me smile, make me ponder for a while about life, people and things.


We all dream of other homes, and of other lands. Maybe it shouldn't be our purpose in life, maybe it should be  justa way to find ourselves...
"Waiting for Godot" play for Samuel Beckett. I guess most of the people I know have read it . But  I never actually finished reading it. Maybe I didn't want to wait with the characters.Maybe we shouldn't wait for something to happen to us. Maybe we shouldn't wait to get home, but create home where we are at the moment. And maybe we shouldn't dream from the beginning. We should fight. Fighting is better than dreaming..
Or maybe you shouldn't read my words. Those words of someone scared of her dreams.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment