November 9, 2013

My Dairy Intolerance

A food scientist who is intolerant to a major food group : DAIRY! Can you believe that?
And the most ironic of them all,  I did my whole thesis research on milk! I spend a year and a half experimenting with milk, when I am intolerant to it! Imagine all the suffering I had to go through.
So, how did I know I was intolerant to milk and all its derivatives?

The Story :

Around 3 years ago, my doctor diagnosed me with lactose intolerance. I was 22 years old back then! 
Actually my lactose intolerance was very low during my childhood and I was able to drink moderate amounts of milk, mostly chocolate milk.
Yet I used to always feel nauseated when eating ice cream or all those heavy Arabian sweets that are full of cream (kashta)
At age 22, after a much stressful period I went through, I started to feel nauseated at the mornings, a feeling of fullness all day even if I hadnt eaten anything yet, and I never felt hungry.
I also felt bloated all the time, to the extend my heart beat rates were higher than the normal. Eventually, I lost around 3 kilos in 1 month only.
My gastrointestinal doctor tested me for all hormonal (thyroid) reasons, halobacteria in my stomach, and gluten allergy....but all results were negative.
He told me to stop drinking milk for one week. After one week, all symptoms vanished! 
I started craving for food normally, and my morning sickness disappeared !

What is Lactose Intolerance:
  • It is not an allergy towards milk. 
  • It is also called lactase deficiency, means you aren't able to fully digest the milk sugar (lactose) in dairy products. 
  • It's usually not dangerous, but symptoms of lactose intolerance can be uncomfortable.
  • A deficiency of lactase — an enzyme produced by the lining of your small intestine — is usually responsible for lactose intolerance. Many people have low levels of lactase, but only those who also have associated signs and symptoms have, by definition, lactose intolerance.
Read More about Lactose Intolerance: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments from: Mayo Clinic

Th Substitute:

Surely, discarding a major food group affects our bodies esp in terms of calcium intake that is necessary for my bones.  I also craved for coffee with milk. I craved for the lasagna and all pastas with the white cream... What about the cakes, soufles, eclaires? I couldnt just dump them.

I had to find a substitute:

  1. Soya Milk: Some people opt for this option. Personaly, I don't like the Soya milk taste. I tried it several times especially when I am at a coffee shop. I just cant tolerate its earthly taste.
  2. GMC lactase pills: Two pills per mug of milk, can help one digest the milk...
    The lactase is the enzyme that we (lactose intolerant 
  3. Lactose free milk: There are few UHT milk brands that are lactose free. Their taste is a bit sweeter since the production of this milk transforms lactose into glucose and galactose. Glucose is known to be sweeter that Lactose. 
This milk is such a saviour in many occasions, when I want to do creamy soups, pastas, cakes, Tarts, custards, and other desserts..

Things I can eat:
  • I can eat Hard and aged cheeses such as Mozzarella, Kashkaval, Gouda cheeses...but avoid the fresh white cheese.
  • I eat certain brands from Labneh. The fresh labneh coming directly from the farm, has too much lactose . Yet the processed one is very light and obviously has less milk.
  • I can eat Yogurts, esp. those that contain cultures, they can help digest lactose faster.
  • Avoid eating Kashta or Icecream from shops, they contain a lot of lactose and very heavy on the stomach! So better do them at home with your lactose free milk.
  • Normal Milk: I used to be tempted several times to drink milk, but when I do I make sure to have one cup only on a full stomach and not frequently. Perhaps once every 3 months. Suffer the consequences at a lower rate.


Funny Stories:



My parents were surprised by this diagnosis saying that I always drank milk, but taking note I never got breastfed and I always rejected the milk during my first year.
A funny incident was when my mother after hearing this, made some trials on me.Thinking my own believe that I am intolerant was just a placebo effect. So, she once gave me milk telling me its the lactose free one, and after drinking it all the symptoms will occur again. Thus, finally believing that I wasn't just joking or hallucinating about my diagnosis.


My thesis topic about chocolate milk


My friend nour shopping around lactose free milk!



No comments:

Post a Comment